Labels

Monday, March 28, 2011

EP03 (No Place To Call Home)

The_Pages was born after I'd departed from Detroit-based rock n' roll group DEAD LETTERS sometime in the fall of 2007.  For a number of reasons I can't recall, I was feeling limited musically.  So The_Pages was born as a necessary outlet for my ego.  Strings, electronic drumkits, Bass with flange, glitches: all these things and more.  I'd sight U.N.K.L.E. and Nine Inch Nails as direct influences at the time.

The first EP was Alex & Autumn: Music For The Film.  There never was a film.  The concept was derived from a brutal relationship I'd had a few years prior and served as shovel that buried that shit.  It was released in April 2008.

Humility In Blindness followed in December 2008.  A five track EP with no concept, it was more like a collection of songs I'd finished that I wanted to put out.  The mixing is rough and the flow is jagged, not really creating any kind of a sonic world. 

After Humility, The_Pages began hibernation.  Musically, I focused on recording a solo acoustic record during 2009.  When I realized I couldn't sing, that fell by the wayside as well.  In the fall of 2009, I joined Greg Aubry and Roy Tousignant to play in what I believe was the third or fourth incarnation of their band ANALOG LIGHTS.  The project lasted about three months and some nifty basement recordings came out of it, but that too met it's demise.

Now it's nearly April 2011, three years since the first release, Alex & Autumn.  My newest record, EP03 (No Place To Call Home), is finished.  An eight track album, nearly all tracks were born over two years ago.  But the mixing has improved.  This record also marks the first time live vocals have been incorporated: Rains On Me, a Tom Waits cover featuring my roommate Ian James Pinchback on vocals.

The record is a revival of sorts, given that music hasn't been a part of my creative mind for over a year now.  Currently, only physical copies are available and I'm charging $3 for one.  The previous two records were free, and rightfully so, but I'm expanding and trying different strategies.  A online-only digital release may happen in the future, this summer perhaps, but for now I've got these nifty, hand-crafted cases for you.

And in case you're wondering: there's more coming.  Another 3 records are in the vault.  All incomplete, but I'm breaking new ground with these ones.




EP03 (No Place To Call Home)
1. Seeing Purple
2. Maybe You Are All Alone
3. In The Basement (With Rabbit)
4. Little Black Box (Not For Rabbit)
5. Saltwater Tongue
6. With a Sigh Now, Kids
7. Rains on Me (with Ian James Pinchback)
8. The Finest of Hours

No comments:

Post a Comment